Kunzler & Company, Inc. is working with Pennsylvania Power & Light Utilities and Strategic Energy Group to help develop continuous energy improvement programs, which will help us use less energy. At the same time we are looking at all phases of operations in which we can improve our carbon footprint in today's environmentally conscious world. Listed below are the initiatives and actions that we are taking on as a company:
- Our entire plant has been replaced with energy efficient lighting and motion sensors. Completion of this project was finalized in May 2011 and is part of our overall sustainability project initiated earlier in 2011.
- Our wooden pallets are 100% reusable, recyclable, and come from a renewable resource.
- The new corrugate shippers we use on average contain about 50% recycled fibers.
- All the corrugate we use in plant is baled and routinely picked up by a recycler.
Old corrugated containers (OCC) are bailed into:
- Containerboard (59.9 percent)
- Recycled paperboard (15.3 percent)
- Tissue (less than 1 percent)
- Packaging and industrial converting (1.6 percent)
- Exports to other countries (21.2 percent)
- Other (1.1 percent)
- Our hot dog casings are made from plant sources and are easily biodegradable.
- Our trucks not only deliver finished product to our customers but also back-haul materials from our suppliers.