Tips For Cooking The Perfect Ham
Ham is a holiday favorite for families across the U.S.
Serving a Kunzler ham not only tastes good, itís also easy to prepare because all Kunzler hams are fully cooked and ready-to-eat. If youíre looking to WOW your crowd, consider heating the ham and adding a glaze while baking. From start to finish, we can help you prepare the perfect holiday ham.
Selecting the right ham:
When selecting a ham, use the following guide to estimate the size you need to buy according to the number of servings the ham should yield:
- 1/4 to 1/3 pound per serving of boneless ham
- 1/3 to 1/2 pound of meat per serving of ham with little bone
- 3/4 to 1 pound of meat per serving of ham with large bone
Preparing the ham:
- Set your oven on bake at 325 degrees F. Allow 15 minutes per pound for your fully cooked ham to be heated through.
- Prepare a glaze. Consider glazes made from OJ, brown sugar, honey, or mustard and spices.
Get an easy glaze recipe.
- Place the ham cut-side down in a baking pan. To ensure the ham stays moist and juicy, create a tin foil tent and place over the ham to keep it from drying out.
- Brush the ham with a glaze and continue to baste it with pan juices every 20 minutes throughout the entire cooking time.
- Create a caramelized coating by removing the foil and turn your oven to broil for about 5 minutes to allow brushed glaze and juices to brown. Do not allow the glaze to get too dark.
- When the ham reaches 160 degrees in the center, it is ready to serve and eat.
Carving the ham:
Once the ham is cooked, you need to carve the ham, serve and enjoy! Watch this how-to video and you can’t go wrong when carving your ham.